Raise your hand if you thought stroller running would be a breeze! Oh, just me? Running with a stroller is tough but moms & dads will do what we need to do to get those miles in. I always give a smile & nod when I pass runners pushing a stroller because I know the struggle. My pace is 2+ minute mile slower but my body gets a good workout pushing a 25lb stroller + 28 lb kiddo. I love running solo but bringing my kid along for the run saves money for a babysitter (if hubby isn’t home) and I consider it a bonding experience. I talk to her while I run and sometimes play peekaboo and lift and lower the stroller cover to keep her entertained. I also keep toys strapped to her strollers so she won’t throw them out.
Here are some tips for stroller running:
- FORM: Watch your posture: shoulders back, core activated, looking straight ahead.
- If you run with 1 hand on the stroller, be sure to alternate hands.
- Use BOTH hands when pushing uphill or running downhill.
- Scan your upper body for tension and shake it out.
- Don’t forget to use the tether. A runaway stroller can be dangerous to the kiddo and people/dogs around you.
- BRING SNACKS/TOYS FOR YOUR KID (or KIDS)!
- Be aware of your surroundings. Safety for you and your kiddo comes 1st!
- When passing others (especially with dogs), let them know you’re there so they can control their dogs or they can (hopefully) move over to let you guys pass.
The good news is that I heard I will probably run faster on race day if I do a lot of stroller running. I can definitely imagine how that happens. When I run uphill, I pretend I’m pushing a prowler. It sure feels like it!
Do you have any stroller running tips?